New Works 2.19.13

Queen of Days | 2013 | 12" x 8" | Pen and ink on paper |

Queen of Days | 2013 | 12″ x 8″ | Pen and ink on paper |

Howdy citizens, I’ve been working on getting some new works finished for the past few weeks, and now I can finally share some of them with you.  For now I’m concentrating on getting a handful of smaller works completed and out.  I have larger drawings that stand unfinished, as they need some dedicated hours and attention…they will see their day, and soon.  Size matters not, right?

The Brown Bomber | 2013 | 8" x 8" | Pen and ink on paper

The Brown Bomber | 2013 | 8″ x 8″ | Pen and ink on paper

She's Gone | 2013 | 8.25"  x 5.5" | Pen, acrylic and ink on book cover

She’s Gone | 2013 | 8.25″ x 5.5″ | Pen, acrylic and ink on book cover

Tarpon Metal | 2013 | 5.25" x 5.75" | Pen and ink on paper

Tarpon Metal | 2013 | 5.25″ x 5.75″ | Pen and ink on paper

Take My Bones Away | 2013 | 8″ x 6″ | Pen and ink on paper

These are prototypes, completed in haste so I can start ruminating on what they suggest, promise and/or evoke through the rest of the Winter as I plot to turn them into various series. I’m a fan of the one-offs and sketches; they keep things bubblin’ and allow for expansion of style, skill and understanding of subject matter.  Pushing an idea through and focusing on small changes leads to a more refined conclusion of effort however.  My best work has come by focusing on banging out 3-7 works that share the same building blocks of line, color, aesthetic and subject matter.  I enjoy all the works shared here, but I’m thrilled by the future works they promise to build towards.

Cheers!

One thought on “New Works 2.19.13

1. Paul Puckett
    February 19, 2013 at 2:22 pm

All look solid..the Tarpon is nasty

2. eric
    February 19, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Absolutely beautiful, Jake.

3. Jason
    February 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Very nice work. They remind me of some of the native Eskimo salmon artwork up here in Alaska.